The team at Blanchard Family Dentistry wants your smile to shine bright throughout your entire life. In order to maintain great dental health, preventative care and regular check-ups is a must. We frequently find that patients who stay on top of their check-ups have less dental work throughout their life.
To achieve a healthy and happy smile here are some simple at-home steps to follow:
- Using a soft-bristled toothbrush and toothpaste, brush your teeth at least twice a day and after meals. Maintaining a daily brushing schedule will remove plaque and food particles from your teeth. It is also important to brush your tongue to keep your breath fresh and clean!
- Floss your teeth at least once a day to remove debris and food particles from in between your teeth where the toothbrush can’t reach. Most patients are unaware that flossing is as important as brushing. Use mouthwash to kill bacteria and keep your breath fresh. A typical schedule goes in the following order; brush, floss and then use mouthwash. This schedule will allow brushing to remove and loosen surface food particles and plaque, flossing to remove debris in between your teeth and mouthwash to follow.
- A well balanced diet will also help you keep your healthy smile. Food and drinks loaded with sugar should be avoided as this can lead to cavities. Keep in mind the longer the tooth is bathed in sugar, the more susceptible it is to demineralization and decay.
- The American Dental Association recommends that adults and children receive a cleaning and check-up every six months.
- If you play sports, be sure to ask Dr. Blanchard about special mouthguards that are designed to protect your smile.
If it’s been six months since your last dental checkup, then it’s time to contact our practice and schedule your next appointment!