Oral Cancer Screening
We are dedicated to your oral health. Oral cancer can be life-threatening if not treated immediately. During your routine visits our team will perform an oral cancer screening.
The following are the most common symptoms for oral cancer. However, each individual may experience symptoms differently. Symptoms may include:
- A lip or mouth sore that does not heal
- A white or red patch on the gums, tongue, or lining of mouth
- A lump on the lip or in the mouth or throat
- Unusual bleeding, pain, or numbness in the mouth area
- Swelling of the jaw or neck
- Pain in the ear
- A chronic sore throat
- Feeling as if something is caught in the throat
- Pain or difficulty in swallowing or chewing
The following steps are ways to prevent oral cancer:
- Do not smoke (or chew) any type of tobacco product.
- Always brush and floss your teeth regularly.
- See your dentist or dental hygienist regularly.
- Drink alcohol in moderation.
- Limit your exposure to the sun.
- Exercise regularly.
- Choose cancer-fighting foods in your diet.
- How you prepare those foods is also important in the prevention of cancer.
- Conduct a self exam at least once a month.
During your next dental appointment, ask Dr. Blanchard to perform an oral exam. Early detection of oral cancer can improve the chance of successful treatment.